I have used many of these simple baking ingredient alternatives below within my recipes and found them even tastier than ever.
It might or might not change your recipe’s texture, but either way, it will enhance the tastiness. Make sure whatever choice ingredients you use are gluten-free.
So, go ahead and try out one of the following simple alternative ingredients in your baking recipe and see what you think.
I would love to read about your experience(s) in the comment box below. I would also welcome you to share any of your favorite gluten-free recipe(s) so that others could enjoy them as well.
If you have any questions for me, please do not ever hesitate to ask.
All my best to you,
Heidi, Founder of Heidi’s Gluten-Free Pantry
Simple Alternatives for 1 cup of cow milk using one of the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of soy milk (plain)
- 1 cup of rice milk
- 1 cup of fruit juice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of goats milk
- 1 cup of hemp milk
Simple Alternatives for 1 cup of buttermilk using one of the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of soy milk plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or 1 tablespoon of white vinegar –Let it stand until it slightly thickens.
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 7/8 cup of rice milk
- 7/8 cup of fruit juice
- 7/8 cup of water
Simple Alternatives for 1 cup of yogurt using one of the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of soy yogurt
- 1 cup of coconut yogurt
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup of fruit puree
Simple Alternatives for 1/2 of a cup or 8 tablespoons of butter (1 stick) using one of the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of unsalted margarine
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of non-dairy buttery spread
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of organic shortening
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of grapeseed oil – This light oil is flavorful.
Simple Alternative For Reduced Fat:
- 1/3 cup or 6 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce + 2 tablespoons of your choice fats
Simple Alternatives for 1 large egg using one of the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of mashed banana + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of mashed avocado + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of fruit puree + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax meal or chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of hot water – Stir occasionally. Let it stand for 10 minutes or until it thickens. Then combine this with the other ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot flour-starch + 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar + 1 teaspoon of baking soda – This will fizz for a few seconds but will die down. If you want the result of your baking to be light and airy, then this is a good alternative.
The organic tofu brands “Nasoya” and “Mori-Nu” are gluten-free and comes with an extra firm, firm, super firm, or silken, custard-like texture.
Silken is an alternative for eggs, dairy, and meat. It also makes a healthier dessert or smoothie. The extra firm is for sauteing, grilling, and stir-frying. My suggestion is to experiment with any of these by figuring out which one works best for you.
A Simple Alternative for 1 large egg using tofu:
- 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons of pureed silken tofu + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Simple Alternatives for tree nuts or peanuts using the same amount of the following:
- Toasted coconut
- Sunflower seeds
- Toasted sesame seeds – Use only 2 to 3 tablespoons.
- Pumpkin seeds